Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Time to be a hero

It's not too late! On Sunday, October 4th, I will again be joining others in walking in Raleigh's annual CROP walk to help combat hunger. CROP Hunger Walks help to support the overall ministry of Church World Service, especially grassroots, hunger-fighting development efforts around the world. In addition, each local CROP Hunger Walk can choose to return up to 25 percent of the funds it raises to hunger-fighting programs in its own community.

CROP Hunger Walks help to provide food and water, as well as resources that empower people to meet their own needs. From seeds and tools, to wells and water systems, to technical training and micro-enterprise loans.

With your help, this year CROP Hunger Walks will share some $4 million with food banks, pantries, community gardens, and other local efforts across the U.S., helping out your neighbors and your friends through tough and uncertain times.

You can sponsor me as a walker by visiting this link. Or even sign up as a walker yourself in a walk near you.

This is a cause and organization I believe in. Over 25 years ago, I was in the Boy Scouts and looking for a public service project for my Eagle project. I chose to host a small local walk with just my troop. At that time, the walks were 10 miles long. As it happened, a bypass was being built. I remember driving around the orange pylons in my 71 Skylark Buick and driving the length of this sectioned off road to see how long it was. I was a teenager and it occurred to me their were no other cars on the road and if ever there was an opportunity to see how fast it could really go... Not a car built for speed and as it hit the 80s (this was the day the speed limit topped out at 55 on highways), it also occurred to me that while there were no cars on the road, it was a road under construction and there could be other obstacles and as I said, I was driving a car with the maneuverability a little better than a tank. The section of the road was 5 miles long, which made it the perfect length. Then it was just a matter of okaying it with the city and state. That walk was in the heat of the summer, with us in our uniforms: long sleeved shirts and pants.

It was a bit serendipitous as it turned out as Rocky Mount the following year held their first CROP Walk and I became a representative for my Church at the time, educating others and getting the youth involved.

Since then, I have not walked every year but I walked a couple of times for Carrboro's while in college and have either walked or sponsored others in walks here in Raleigh. In the last several years, the walk has served two purposes as I try to walk at least an hour several days a week for my own health.

For more information concerning CROP: www.churchworldservice.org

Thank you!

1 comment:

Chuck Wells said...

Hear, hear, Cash. You know its funny, but for having survived cancer for six years now, I never seem to have the desire to walk on many related events in support of that, but I have been consripted into a walk for diabetes on Oct.17 in Greenville, SC.

Maybe that will inspire me to expand my own evening walking regimen into something official - in an ongoing capacity.